What Ingredients In Shampoo Cause Hair Loss?
There could be many causes of hair loss for men. It can be a result of hormonal changes, a hereditary condition or due to medical conditions or medications. And now a number of components in hair products have been identified as possible culprits. What ingredients in shampoo cause hair loss? Read on…
Research has shown that film-forming agents build up around the hair follicle and prevent new hair growth. Some two-in-one shampoos and conditioners have an extreme amount of conditioner and can quickly cause issues.
All-natural shampoos often contain hardly any cleansers but just a high concentration of oils. Chemicals strip hair of essential oils and breakdown protein essential for hair growth. Thickeners strip hair of moisture and dryness can lead to breakage and hair loss.
Parabens can affect hormonal balance and trigger hair loss and allergic reactions. Chemical fragrances can cause dermatitis and welted skin rashes.
Preservatives are used to prolong shelf life. And irritants can cause scalp inflammation as well as allergic reactions resulting in thinning hair. Greasers weigh down hair stopping the absorption of natural oils.
Ingredients to avoid include:
- Silicones – dimethicone, xanthan gum, and guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride
- Conditioning and pearlising agents – glycol distearate and glycol stearate
- Thickening resins – polyethylene glycol and sodium chloride
- Alcohol – when used in high concentrations this can dehydrate the hair – the higher the percentage the closer to the top of the ingredient list
- Fragrances and artificial colours – FD & C or D&C followed by a colour or a number
- Parabens – methylparaben and propylparaben
- Greasers – lanolin, mineral oil, and petroleum
- Irritants – diethanolamine, triethanolamine, and propylene glycol
- Preservatives – imidazolidinyl urea
Try Natural Alternatives
What’s good for hair loss? Avoiding shampoos that contain harmful chemicals is the answer. The safest solution is a shampoo without any sulphates that’s simple to wash off without leaving any residue. Or you could try using:
- Essential oils – diluting fragrances such as peppermint, orange, and lavender with a carrier oil will give delightful smelling hair without any negative issues. In fact, some oils like rosemary contain antimicrobials that help with dandruff and keep any build-up at bay.
- Apple cider vinegar – this works to stimulate blood flow to the scalp and encourages healthy hair growth. It also gets rid of dirt and build-up without stripping your hair of essential oils. Natural antibiotic properties also help with many scalp conditions that may prevent new hair growth.
- Moisturising oils – oils that help protect your hair from dehydration include jojoba, coconut, and extra virgin olive oil. And help to restore moisture levels if the hair is already dry.
- Aloe Vera is a natural product that feeds the hair with whole natural ingredients that nourish the scalp – plenty of vitamin E provides scalp protection too.
Bespoke Hair Care Treatments
Hair replacement systems are perfect for boosting confidence when hair loss is making your life a misery. The qualified hair stylists from Cochrane & Co will give you all the support and advice you need. An entire range of hair treatments to promote healthy hair will be offered – and you’ll be provided with suggestions for the best hair products available.